Any member of the public who is not involved in any civil or criminal case can become a "FOP". He / She only have to send a letter to the Superintendent of Police giving his name, age, and address and pledging his friendship. The chief of police after verifying the antecedent of the applicants through the special Branch and the local police stations will admit them as FOPs.
- Friends of Police should be in the age group of above eighteen years.
- Friends of Police should have completed their tenth standard.
- Friends of Police should not involve in political activities.
- Friends of Police should not have any criminal history.
- Friends of Police should be in a position to allot time to involve in public service.
- Friends of Police should be in a position to maintain good relationship with the public as well as the police personnel.
- Friends of Police should have contact relationship with the nodal officers of their police district.
- The FOP s should understand that it is a voluntary movement and hence should not expect any monetary benefits for their services either from the police or from the public.
- Friends of Police should be in a position to identify the problems in their locality through youngsters, senior citizens, women etc.
- Friends of Police should be in a position to create awareness on the existence of the FOP movement to the public.